Following our trend from last week, we are bringing the latest in our spring-cleaning series. Last week we tackled going through your bedrooms and decluttering that space and this week we have a much bigger project in mind. Oftentimes, closets and garages gather up a lot of unused or unwanted things. That extra space lends itself well to a set it and forget it mentality. With spring-cleaning we thought we would give a rundown on how to approach these two areas with these 5 easy tips. Check em’ out.
Clearing Out The Garage or Home Storage Spaces:
- Examine The Area: With that first glance, try to make a mental map of what is there and when the last time you used it was. Once you have this information, you will be able to discern what things are staying and what things are going.
- Pick A Spot and Go: It’s important to not get overwhelmed with your garage size, or the extra storage space you are cleaning out. Do the area in small increments to avoid this burden. Find that first doable spot and get right to it without moving on to the next before it’s done.
- Organize: While you’re going through, review the mental map you made. If you come across and old, let’s say, CD player you haven’t used in years ask yourself this simple question: “Do I really need this still?” if the answer is no, then put it in the throwing out pile (see last week’s blog post about pile making). You’re going to have to be a little brutal with your decision-making, but the benefits of a cleared up space will be tremendous.
- Donate: This is something we are going to mention often. Things that you don’t use or need anymore can have a second life. Rather than throw it out, consider, if you will, the possibility that item might have on someone else. Sure, you aren’t using that CD player anymore, but someone might need that exact thing for his or her own enjoyments.
- Implement New Organization: What better time to further your organization than after a big clean? With the new space, you’ll be ready to implement some new shelving units or containers to keep your stuff in line for a more organized garage or storage space.
And there you have it. These 5 easy to follow tips will help you on your way to a more organized home space. Keep in mind there are always things you can do to make this process easier. These tips cover the broad strokes, but you also know what kind of process works best with you. Feel free to mix and match these tips with your own cleaning philosophies to ensure the best experience possible. Check back next week for the next installment.